For episode 53 I go back to the basics of environmental issues and talk about the infamous single use polluter: disposable coffee cups. For this, there's none other to talk to other than Sorcha Kavanagh from The Conscious Cup Campaign. This is a programme not just encouraging individuals to bring a reuseable cup, but encouraging cafés and businesses to drive the change forward and lead by example. Follow the Conscious Cup Campaign on Twitter @CCCampaign_Irl or Instagram @consciouscupcampaign.
We cover a lot, including:
- [05:10] How the Conscious Cup Campaign started.
- [08:20] Sorcha’s personal journey to being eco-conscious.
- [11:50] Disposable cup statistics in Ireland.
- [16:25] Where we currently stand regarding reuseable cups and COVID.
- [21:45] Advice for customers on how to encourage cafés they frequent to join the campaign.
- [28:00] Are compostable cups much better?
- [31:55] In the grand scheme of the climate crisis, is having a reuseable cup really going to solve things?
- [35:10] Reuseable cup brand/type favourites.
- [37:30] Lucy O'Sullivan's 2.4km cycle for Jigsaw & The Conscious Cup Campaign along the Wild Atlantic Way Cycle. Click this link to donate!
- Zero Waste Ireland Facebook group.
- Timi Nicholson.
- Elaine Butler.
- The Body Shop.
- Huskee cup.
- The Keepcup.
- Stojo Cup.
- Gather & Gather – Julia Murray.
- Doughnut Economics by Kate Raworth book recommendation.
Examples of cafés currently accepting reuseables (and many small, independent cafés are too!):
- Lolly & Cooks